Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Othello Opinion

At this point, I am actually enjoying "Othello." Usually, I am not a fan of Shakespeare; not because I have a difficult time reading the text, but because I honestly do not believe him to be that entertaining or captivating. I have never been a fan of his plots, crude humor, nor his embellished language. His writing style has always bothered me the most; it takes him line after line to say what honestly only should take a sentence. But, with "Othello" I feel there is a difference (at this point). The characters are more interesting, as is the plot. I find myself actually focusing on what I am reading, instead of simply moving my eyes across the page. Iago is villainous in such a way that intrigues me & causes me curiosity regarding his next move. Othello seems realistic to me in the sticks & stones way he handles the racial slurs; he is captivating enough in himself without everyone's judgement. I hope that the rest of the play continues in this manner. If so, I might have to cut Shakespeare a little slack.

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading a lot of blogs saying something similar and it all seems to connect with the realism. This play does have a reputation for better resembling real life. I tend to agree with most of what you say here!

    ReplyDelete