Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Glass Menagerie Opinion

Before I started reading "The Glass Menagerie," I was slightly excited when I found out it was written by Tennessee Williams. See, my great-aunt is a book critic, and Tennessee Williams is her favorite author (with the exception of her main man... Jack London of course). She always tries to make me read Williams' books, but I never really had the desire. However, with this assignment, I was forced into reading his work. I have to say, she was right; I like his writing style. Once I started reading, I found myself easily concentrating on the story at hand. Even though the play is a bit depressing, it is well-written. The dialogue between the characters is something I really enjoy; I really like how Amanda cuts off her children throughout the novel, such as on pg 1246. This is one aspect I think plays sometimes have difficulty with; in life, people cut one another off, especially in families, and plays often do not reflect this. For me, this was definitely one of the parts that kept my interest in reading and caused me to enjoy the story.


No comments:

Post a Comment