Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Kite Runner: Opinion One

"PANIC. you open your mouth. Open it wide so your jaws creak. You order your lungs to draw air, NOW, you need are, need it NOW. But your airways ignore you. They collapse, tighten, squeeze, and suddenly you're breathing through a drinking straw..." 
(page 121)

At this point, I am really enjoying The Kite Runner. Yes, it is extremely depressing, and every time I think Amir's life can't get worse, somehow it does, but the novel is well-written and keeps my attention. For instance, moments such as the one above are incredibly powerful to read. I almost felt as if I were with Amir experiencing the horrifying situation of being stuck in a fuel tank. The emotions he was experiencing were almost palpable much like other moments in the book (i.e. the kite running tournament, Hassan's rape, Baba's death, his wedding, etc). In order for me to truly enjoy a book, the author must write it in such a way that I stay thoroughly intrigued. Through the last three literary terms I blogged about (foreshadowing, imagery, and vernacular), Hosseini proved to me that his novel was one worth reading. I feel as if I am in suspense on every page because I never know what to expect or what is coming next; Hosseini throws curveballs at a constant rate. I am excited to read the rest of the novel and see what other unpredictable conflicts come up. Shockingly, The Kite Runner is becoming one of those books that is difficult to put down.

No comments:

Post a Comment