Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Member of the "Lonely Hearts" Club

Cope's poem "Lonely Hearts" was one that I really liked; the subject is depressing, but to me the poem was written in a cutesy way. I really thought it was unique how the poem reflected the style of the classifieds. The speaker reveals a lot about herself in this short poem. She lives in North London (shown by the three repititions of the phrase), she is "successful, straight, solvent," and she thinks she has a "simple wish." I felt like I was peeking into a lonely woman's life; a woman who has the unfortunate  problem of not finding love; all she wants is a man to understand her. I think the poem cleverly makes the point of bad luck in love and how sometimes desperation causes people to do crazy things to find it. Personally, I also enjoyed how this poem was in modern language that was easy to read. Also, I liked the rhetorical questions posed at the end of the stanzas because they caused me to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment