Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Many Emotions Involved in "Getting Out"

The poem "Getting Out"speaks of the trials and tribulations of a failed marriage. A constantly quarreling and physically fighting couple is depicted throughout the use of many language devices. The poem inspires a feeling of sadness in its audience. The animosity I could feel in the first two paragraphs made me feel for this couple who had had such an awful time. The sadness in the last paragraph made me feel horrible for this couple that is still so clearly in love. The line about the "lawye'r's bewilderment" really stood out to me; divorce lawyers aren't used to seeing couples still care about each other once divorced. It was lines such as these that allowed me to imagine so clearly the poem's happenings. The poem actually reminded me of the song "Pieces." In the song, there is a line that states "it's good when you're here, but it's better when you're gone." I think that this line perfectly sums the poem up; the couple has matured into realzing it's best that they don't stay together.


No comments:

Post a Comment