Thursday, September 23, 2010

Amuricans

I remember the first time I ever saw an e.e. cummings poem I was very confused; I didn't understand why a person wouldn't capitalize their own name. I honestly still don't understand, but I do know that I like his poems. "next of course to god america i" was a poem that took me several readings to begin to comprehend. There was SO much information in the first few lines that it was difficult for me to process them; however, once I began to break it up into the quotes, songs, cliches, and colloquialisms, I understood it much better. Once I understood it, I decided I liked how it was satirical; I liked how it was calling politicians out. I am a pretty opinionated person, so this poem was something I could definitely appreciate. e.e. cummings manages to somehow make a very good point/argument in a 14 line poem, which is something to be admired for, especially since he doesn't really make the point until about the last half. I think this is a perfect example of a quietly intense argument. 



1 comment: