Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Spring is to Bliss as God is to Heaven

I am really glad we are allowed to write two opinionated blogs over the eight poems because I don't think my reaction to just one poem is enough. The final poem of this set that I am going to blog about is "Spring" by Hopkins. As the first poem we read, I had high expectations for it, and I am happy to say I liked this poem. I really enjoyed a light, airy poem contrasted with the many poems we read after this one on depressing subject matters. The first line "nothing is so beautiful as spring" sets the tone for the rest of the work. Reading this poem made me feel better; it also caused me to focus on God. Almost immediately I realized that the poem was praising God for all his wondrous works and asking him to return to the innocence of the Garden of Eden. I would say I am an upbeat, outgoing individual; the poem reflects the tone of such a personality too. On a smaller scale, I also enjoyed reading this poem because it rhymes. Personally, I enjoy poetry more when it rhymes because it seems more poem-ish to me.

1 comment: