Thursday, September 23, 2010

Whites, Darks, Reds, and Colors

I really enjoyed the poem "Sorting Laundry." I think this is because I'm a sentimental person; I love memories, especially remembering moments based on a photo or a trinket or a postcard. I loved this poem because I found the metaphors for life and laundry to be relatable and easy to understand. I was intrigued by how seamlessly the author seemed to transition between actual acts of sorting laundry and how they related to real life events. Certain stanzas really stood out to me. For instance, "And what's shrunk is tough to discard even for Goodwill" reminded me a lot of my mom. She has a really difficult time getting rid of our old clothes. She says it's because we never know who might need them, but I know it's because she hates that my sisters and I are growing up. Of course, there were emotionally touching lines such as "pillowcases, despite so many washings, seams still holding our dreams" or "I  think of folding you into my life." It was the great many lines like these that allowed me to really appreciate this poem; it is a very accurate metaphor for two people's futures becoming one in my personal opinion.





No comments:

Post a Comment