Thursday, April 21, 2011

Frankenstein: Opinion Three

"Why did I not die? More miserable then I ever was before, why did I not sink into forgetfulness and rest?" (page 130)

Alright, heads up, this is pretty much going to be a rant about our dear friend Victor. So. Victor has definitely been the most annoying character of this entire book. Quite honestly, all he does is whine and complain about the fact that he created this monster. I understand that he is trying to warn Walton and whatnot, as well as explain his reasons for being in the middle of nowhere, but really, he doesn't need to gripe about all that has gone wrong. It's his fault, and I don't think he really, truly understands that. His characterization also shows me that he's one of those people who says he knows it's his fault but doesn't really believe it. For instance, in the scene where he claims Justine's innocence, he doesn't honestly stand up or defend her in any way; he is such a coward. He won't face things in the manner that he should which really bothers me too. Overall, I find Victor to be a man of very little honor and courage (which ironically, are virtues Walton attributes to him at the beginning of the book).

No comments:

Post a Comment