Thursday, April 14, 2011

Frankenstein: Opinion Two

"'I expected this reception,' said the daemon. 'All men hate the wretched; how, then, must I be hated, who am miserable beyond all living things! Yet you, my creator, detest and spurn me, thy creature, to whom thou art bound by ties only dissoluble by the annihilation of one of us." (page 68)

When the creature started talking, I was super shocked. The typical image of Frankenstein-the-monster (depicted below) is this huge, green monster who grunts. He doesn't speak words at all. Furthermore, he doesn't speak with eloquence and diction such as the creature in the novel does. It was really interesting to me that the image of this creature has been altered so much over time. When the creature begins to enlighten Victor of his life (page 70), I was really intrigued. His first person narrative is yet another voice to be added to the many differing voices in the story. It was neat to witness the two opposing views Shelley writes regarding the creature:  Victor and the creature himself. The creature's side caused me to feel pathos for him; Shelley achieved applies this technique easily with the sad story of how the creature came to be. Reading this part of the novel regarding the monster was definitely a curveball for me because of the modern definition that I had always heard about the Frankenstein-creature.

1 comment:

  1. any theories on how the monster has developed his high level of intelligence?

    ReplyDelete