Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Frankenstein: Point of View

"I arrived here yesterday; and my first task is to assure my dear sister of my welfare, and increasing confidence in the success of my undertaking." (page 1)

On the first page of Frankenstein, we learn that this novel will be told in first person. Shelley chooses to write the first person point of view in an unique way. Her main character, Robert Walton, is the storyteller. He narrates the story by using letters to explain his trip to his sister. The letters allow him to write down all of his thoughts and experiences and pass them on to his sister; this is turn allows the reader to get inside Walton's head and understand the story from his viewpoint. Even more interesting is the fact that Margaret & us (the readers) read an additional first person point of view from Victor within Walton's letter. The first person point of view allows the reader to see the action from how the speaker is experiencing it too. The letters and Victor's story within the letters are one of the most original ways to tell a story in first person. It makes me feel as if Walton is writing to me, or I am Margaret.

No comments:

Post a Comment