Sunday, August 8, 2010

Epistrophe

I started reading Book II today of The Sun Also Rises; I'm curious as to: a) how many 'books' are there in this novel? and b) why does the author feel the need to split it up? So far, it doesn't really seem as if there's been a major change calling for a new 'book'. Hopefully, I figure this out by the end of the novel or I figure it out by reading other blogs. However, moving on to the real point of this specific post, I found another literary term (only five more to find!). I was pretty happy to find one at the very end of the chapter, because I felt like this was a long chapter to not have a literary term. Anyway, the literary term, epistrophe, occurs on page 85 with Mike. A very intoxicated Mike continuously speaks to Brett, Jake, and Bill Gorton speaking of Brett & how enamored he is with her on page 85. He states "Brett, you are a lovely piece," "I say, you are a lovely piece," and "Isn't she a lovely piece?" (Which happens to be another rhetorical question.) As the dialogue continues, he repeats the key phrase, "lovely piece" at the end of his sentences referring to Brett. This technique allowed me to see how completely infatuated/in love Mike is with his bride-to-be. I am wondering, however, if this infatuation was multiplied by the aid of the alcohol. With this in mind, I am curious to see how she treats him throughout the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment