Friday, August 6, 2010

Stereotype

I figured it was about time to start finally reading The Sun Also Rises. I've heard from most people that the book is fall-asleep-while-reading boring, but hopefully I can make it through painlessly. As I began to read, I quickly recognized a few different stereotypes in relation to Robert Cohn in the first novel. The most obvious stereotype to me was in regard to Cohn's religion. Hemingway (or Jake in the novel) writes that Cohn had feelings of "inferiority and shyness he had felt on being treated as a Jew at Princeton." He makes clear the difference between the average student & Cohn, which I think displays stereotyping. Not too much later, the writer states "he got his nose permanently flattened... [which] certainly improved his nose." I read this as him adding to the stereotype that Jewish people have large noses; however, I might have read too much into the paragraph. Jake then writes of Cohn's background. He writes of how Cohn was "through his father, one of the richest families in New York, and through his mother, one of the oldest." To me, this is the perfect portrayal of the stereotype for a typical child who attends an Ivy League college; one must have a powerful family name and/or a great deal of money. The stereotyping in the first chapter leads me to believe much of the book will be written in the same way with very strong opinions on issues, people, events, etc.

1 comment: