Wednesday, November 3, 2010

"Gotta Secret, Can You Keep It?"

In "Interpreter of Maladies," the secret Mrs. Das reveals pretty much came out of no where I thought. I was very taken aback when Mrs. Das told Mr. Kapasi that she her son Bobby was the result of an affair. As the back-story began to unfold, I did feel a bit of sympathy for Mrs. Das. She is in a marriage with children that she does not want to be in. However, the majority of me feels no sympathy for Mrs. Das. I believe that an individual always has choices; Mrs. Das had/has choices in her situation. She had the opportunity for a divorce, among other options. I know that these are difficult, but these are better than unhappiness. Her unhappiness led to participating in intimacy behind her husband's back. It is very difficult for me to be truly sympathetic to a woman who would do this. I also find it hard to be sympathetic to an individual who shares her burdens with others in order to "make [her] feel better."

No comments:

Post a Comment