Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Look at Tub

The character Tub really bothered me in "Hunters in the Snow." In my first read of the story, I couldn't really place why he bothered me so much. It was on my second read that I could understand why he really annoyed me. For a character who is so sensitive about his weight, he is very insensitive to others. Now, granted no one's ever called me a "fat moron," but I think everyone has received an insult or two in his or her life. Furthermore, Tub doesn't do much about his weight problem since he gorges himself on candies and sweets whenever he can. But, anyway, I digress. The main problem with Tub is the major focus he places on himself; even when Kenny tells him his story about the babysitter, he quickly glosses over the topic and brings it back to himself. Tub's lack of caring is even furthered when he forgets the directions to the hospital and then pretty much ignores his friend who has been shot (by Tub himself.) Together, these factors made me greatly dislike Tub as a character.

No comments:

Post a Comment