Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Haunting

I anticipated the ending of "A Rose for Miss Emily" in a way. From the moment that I read that "she bought the rat poison, the arsenic" I knew she was crazy. I mean, a woman living in a huge Southern home with "no one save an old manservant" was bound to have a few things wrong with her. Then, when her idiosyncrasies really began to shine through my mind started to think even more. When I read that "...within three days Homer Barron was back in town. A neighbor saw the Negro man admit him at the kitchen door one evening. And that was the last we saw of Homer Barron." It was details such as these in addition to ones about her father, her manservant, and the town's general opinions that foreshadowed the ending for me. Additionally, the use of grotesque words and phrases caused my mind to be darkened and thinking eerily too. These aspects all culminated in the horrendous ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment