Tuesday, November 30, 2010

You're Ugly, Too

Personal Thoughts Blog

The short story "You're Ugly, Too" is difficult for me to understand. Honestly, I am horrible at fully comprehending stories dealing with sarcasm and irony. For some reason, I can't differentiate between the two, nor do I find them easy to read. I find ironic stories difficult for me to get through, which really bothers me. Zoe's character bothered me to; she was abrasive and crass in her statements and jokes. I know that this is the entire point of the story, but it really bothered me that she acted "like her opinion was more important than everybody else's."  I didn't find any of her jokes to be very funny either. I guess I just felt like the themes in this short story were negative; about life, love, happiness, academics, etc. I am hoping that class discussion will allow me to understand this story a little better.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you missed discussion on this....we talked about how even those that thought she was funny acknowledged that she often crossed the line into being rude, insensitive, and mean.

    ReplyDelete