Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Southern Lady

"A Rose for Emily" was the short story I could best identify with. Not creepily of course, but because of my childhood in the South. Most of my friends lived in huge Southern mansions because of their deep family roots. It is easy for me to see the "big, squarish frame house that had once been white decorated with cupolas and spires and scrolled balconies." These homes all carry secrets from the past, much like Miss Emily's home did. The townspeople narrated the home's story as much as Miss Emily's story. It was easy for me to put myself in the story (even though Perrine frowns upon that!). The story was very creepy and grotesque, yes, but it was easy for me to imagine and read because of the Southern factor. Personally, I also believe that placing this story in the South had a major effect on the story as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment